Our standard Perfect Bound Books sizes are:
- 148mm x 105mm (A6 portrait)
- 210mm x 148mm (A5 portrait)
- 297mm x 210mm (A4 portrait)
- 148mm x 210mm (A5 landscape)
- 210mm x 297mm (A4 landscape)
- 99mm x 210mm (DL portrait)
- 148mm x 148mm (148mm square)
- 210mm x 210mm (210mm square)
What is Perfect Binding?
- Perfect Binding means that the text pages of the Book are glued into the cover, to form a “paperback book”. The sections of the Book are folded, then gathered (so that the folded sections of pages sit on top of each other in the correct order), then the back of the book block is cut with a saw, PUR adhesive is applied to the back and the cover is pressed onto the adhesive with great force. The book is then three-knife trimmed, which cuts off the edges at the foot, the head and the fore edge to leave a neat finish to the sides of the Perfect Bound Book.
Ink Colour for Inside Pages of Perfect Bound Books
- Black only – Obviously, this means that your Perfect Bound Book will be printed using black ink on white paper
- Full colour – Your Perfect Bound Book will be printed in four colour process throughout
Ink Colour for Cover Pages of Perfect Bound Books
- Your Perfect Bound Book’s cover can be printed in black only or full colour on one side or both sides – the price is the same for all four options
Printing Materials for Inside Pages of Perfect Bound Books
- Uncoated – The paper used for your Perfect Bound Book does not have a coating applied to it during manufacture at the paper mill. It has the same surface characteristics as copier paper, as used in photocopiers and laser printers. It is available in weights of 100gsm and 120gsm
- Gloss art – This paper has a glossy surface. It is available in weights of 115gsm, 130gsm, 150gsm and 170gsm
- Silk art – This paper has a very smooth, flat surface. It is available in weights of 115gsm, 130gsm, 150gsm and 170gsm
Printing Materials for Cover Pages of Perfect Bound Books
- Uncoated – This board does not have a coating applied to it during manufacture at the paper mill. It has the same surface characteristics as copier paper, as used in photocopiers and laser printers, but is much thicker. It is available in a weight of 250gsm
- Gloss art – This board has a glossy surface. It is available in weights of 200gsm, 250gsm and 300gsm
- Silk art – This board has a very smooth, flat surface. It is available in weights of 200gsm, 250gsm and 300gsm
Turnaround Time for Perfect Bound Books
We offer a choice of three turnaround speeds for Perfect Bound Books: Standard, Faster and Fastest. If you need a quicker turnaround, please phone or email us for a quote. It is probable that the quicker turnaround will make the job more expensive.
Artwork and PDF requirements for Perfect Bound Books
- We operate a PDF workflow, so please supply your Perfect Bound Book artwork as a Press Quality PDF set up in single pages, but with the outside and inside covers set up as a spread including the spine; please contact us and we will let you know the size of the spine. If you prefer, we can create a PDF for you, in which case we will email a proof to you for approval. There is an additional charge for this PDF creation service, please contact us for a quote.
- If any print reaches the edge of your finished Perfect Bound Book, please add 3mm bleed to all sides of your artwork
- We need a “quiet area” to ensure nothing important is too near to the trimmed edge of the Perfect Bound Book and, very importantly, to keep everything away from the area adjacent to the glued spine. Please refer to the Templates available to download via the heading in the top menu bar; if you cannot find a template for the size you require, please conact us and we will send one to you
- Supply your Perfect Bound Book artwork files to us in CMYK, not RGB please
- The image resolution should be 300dpi or more
- Please embed fonts or convert all of your text to shapes